WHAT IS ALEXA?
Alexa is a virtual personal assistant developed by amazon. It is the voice controlled system like Cortana, Siri etc.This system is built inside the amazon devices like echo(a speaker), amazon fire, amazon TV etc. Your voice saying ‘wake up’ activates Alexa and makes it ready to receive the command.
WHAT CAN IT DO?
- You can order Alexa to play a song from Amazon’s music library.
- You can connect it with several devices with which it is compatible(not with all devices) and simply control your such devices such as turning light on and off,opening and closing door etc.
- It can pick up the headlines from the news and read it.
- Notify you about the weather conditions, traffic condition, your to do lists and may more.
- Simply answer to your questions like the mathematical questions, GK questions etc.
These are some of the common skills of Alexa. Besides these you can simply add several skills of your choice to Alexa. Such skills are like the applications to your smart phone. Several skills are present for Alexa like recipe skill, drinkman skill, health and fitness education food etc.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
It is simply a natural language processing system. Whenever you deliver a command the sensitive microphone built inside the Alexa devices captures it and send it to the cloud for analysis .Wake up is the default word for activating Alexa. But you can change the word according to your choice.
WHAT ARE ITS LIMITATIONS?
- It can receive only one command at a time. You cannot say Alexa turn on the light and play a song. You need to speak separately two times.
- At a time you can access only one Alexa device.
- It cannot filter background noise.
- You need to buy separate devices which are compatible with Alexa.